If you want to sell your house quickly, one of the most crucial things you can do is make sure it is spotlessly clean, organized, and well-presented when showing it to buyers. This is why it’s industry standard to have commercial cleaners scrub the house before listing it for sale.
Whether you plan to hire a professional cleaning company or do it yourself, the comprehensive cleaning checklist provided below can be helpful in preparing your home for sale.
1. Declutter and Depersonalize
Decluttering and depersonalizing should be the first order of business when preparing your home for sale. Remove any excess items lying around that aren’t necessary for everyday use, including furniture and personal belongings.
Apart from making your home appear more spacious and open, decluttering and depersonalizing can also help potential buyers visualize themselves in your house.
2. General House Cleaning Checklist
Common cleaning tasks when preparing your home for sale include:
- Clean light fixtures
- Wash windows and doors
- Vacuum the entire house
- Remove the cobwebs
- Dust blinds and curtains
- Empty trash
- Polish all metal fixtures
- Sweep and mop floors
- Clean air vents
- Wipe down baseboards and molding
- Polish mirrors
- Clean the walls and baseboards
3. Room-by-Room Cleaning Checklist
A room-by-room cleaning checklist might include tasks like::
Living/ Dining Rooms
- Dust all surfaces
- Clean rugs and wood flooring
- Vacuum thoroughly
- Steam clean furniture and carpets
- Clean draperies and blinds
- Make up the beds
- Clean the walls
- Dust surfaces, including dressers and nightstands
- Clean bed linens, comforters, and pillowcases
- Organize the closets
- Clean and disinfect all surfaces
- Wash countertops
- Clean the dishwasher
- Deep clean the oven
- Fix dripping faucets
- Clean and organize cabinets
- Scrub sinks
- Clean refrigerator
- Clean mirrors and windows
- Grout or replace broken, missing, or cracked tiles
- Scrub the shower and bathtub
- Remove mold and mildew
- Clean countertops and drawers
4. Pay Attention to Curb Appeal
The curb appeal of your home is the first thing buyers notice. These steps can help ensure your exterior is clean:
- Clean the patio or porch
- Get rid of oil and grease stains on the driveway
- Clean the gutters
- Remove any debris from the yard
- Clean the outdoor furniture
- Clear the garage
- Mow the lawn
- Pressure wash exterior walls
- Clean the window and window frames
5. Tips for Pet Owners
Having a pet at home might be great, but they can make a mess and leave behind odors. Top cleaning tips for pet owners include:
- Clean and disinfect pet cages and litter boxes
- Eliminate odors
- Remove pet hair
6. Hire a Professional Cleaner
As you can tell from the checklist above, preparing your home for sale is no walk in the park. Moreover, you may not have the time, tools, or experience to carry out the tasks adequately. That’s where hiring a commercial cleaning company comes in handy.
For instance, people in or around Washington, DC, hire eMaids, a premium cleaning service employing the latest cleaning equipment and fully trained maids, to ensure houses are ready for viewing by potential buyers.
A clean home is not only appealing to the eye, but it also allows people to picture themselves living in the space as they tour it. You can prepare your home for viewing and selling by decluttering and checking all the boxes on the cleaning checklist above.
If you live in or around Washington DC, don’t break your back. Let eMaids provide a helping hand. Get a quote today to get your house ready to sell fast!