Stainless steel appliances have a timeless look and a solid durability that’s unmatched. There’s nothing more striking in your kitchen than gleaming silvery appliances, and little more of an eyesore than dirty grubby ones. Unfortunately, stainless steel appliances are magnets for fingerprints and greasy smudges that diminish their distinctive shine.
Your local cleaning crew from eMaids is glad to polish your stainless steel appliances until they sparkle for you. However, sometimes you might just want to give your refrigerator, stove or dishwasher a quick wipe-down in between scheduled cleanings. A few tips on keeping your stainless steel spotless are highlighted here:
An Important Note About Stainless Steel Finishes
Many people associate a stainless steel finish with one that can stand up to scratching or harm. This is a misconception. Stainless steel finishes are susceptible to scratches or damage like any other appliance finish. However, taking time to properly care for your stainless steel finish can preserve its perfect appearance for years to come. It can also help protect your ability to use your warranty should your appliance needs service.
Always read the owner’s manual for your appliance to learn more about the manufacturer’s advice about cleaning. Some appliance finishes can withstand harsh or abrasive cleaners. Others have a special coating that robust cleansers can damage. Follow the instructions your manufacturer provides, and you can clean with confidence.
What to Avoid when Cleaning Stainless Steel Appliances
A stainless-steel finish is surprisingly easy to harm. This is especially true when the wrong cleaners or wiping techniques are used. When cleaning your shiny steel, avoid:
- Abrasive cleaners like bleach, scouring powders, and rough scrubbing tools can damage your appliance’s finish. Use gentle cleansers and soft cloths instead.
- If you can, avoid allowing your stainless steel appliance to air dry after cleaning it. Air drying tends to create spots or streaks. Buffing your stainless steel dry with a microfiber cloth keeps streaks and spots to a minimum and helps restore shine.
- Don’t wipe stainless against the grain. Buffing with the grain prevents streaks.
Cleaning Stainless Steel Appliances
Your best product choice when it comes to cleaning your stainless steel appliances is a cleanser formulated specifically for use on stainless steel. These are created with the protection of your appliance’s finish in mind. Products intended for this use leave behind a protective coating to repel fingerprints and other common sources of smudges.
Microfiber cloths are your best friends when it comes to cleaning stainless steel. These cloths do a phenomenal job of removing dirt and grease. They’re also safe on your steel finish if you need to apply a harder scrub to remove stubborn stains.
Don’t have any stainless steel cleaner on hand? For a quick spot clean, try these common household items:
- A diluted mixture of mild dish soap and water can quickly remove small marks or stains. Be sure to rinse the area with clean water and buff dry afterward.
- Window cleaners can help restore the shine of your stainless steel appliances if free from both vinegar and ammonia. After use, buff appliance with a clean cloth.
- Mineral oil can help remove stubborn fingerprints. Use an extremely light coating and buff well to remove any oil left on the surface. Otherwise, you could end up with a sticky layer left behind. Food-based oils can become rancid and should not be used for the purpose of cleaning your stainless steel appliances.
Wishing to restore the shine and sparkle your appliances had when you purchased them, or for a deep clean in your kitchen that you don’t have to put the time or energy into doing yourself? Powerful eMaids can make these wishes come true. You’re clicks away from having your housekeeping wishes granted. Book your cleaning today!