Vacation rentals offer travelers a home away from home. In fact, many vacationers or business travelers choose vacation rentals expressly for the sense of comfort and normalcy that hotels lack. Walking into a clean, cozy place after a long day of travel offers a feeling of relief for someone whose real home is far away.
You want your vacation home to be spotless when guests arrive, and not just because you care about their comfort. The rating of your vacation rental depends on guest impressions. Travelers aren’t shy about sharing less-than-stellar experiences.
How Cleaning a Vacation Rental Differs from Cleaning Your Home
When cleaning your own home there are many tasks involved similar to those you do when cleaning a vacation rental. You will notice differences, however, starting with cleaning frequency. Your home can tolerate a quick wipe-down when you don’t have time for more, or even the occasional skipped weekly clean. Your vacation rental must be cleaned every time guests check out, and without cutting corners. Oftentimes, there's only a few hours to clean your rental between guests.
Vacation renters want the illusion that they’re the only ones to have slept in the bed or used the shower of your vacation home. This means your rental space requires more than to be wiped down. It needs a comprehensive clean, sometimes several a week.
Vacation Rental Cleaning Guide
It’s a good idea to first organize all your housekeeping supplies into an easy-to-carry fashion so you quickly can grab them and go. It’s also advised to practice these cleaning steps a few times until they become second nature.
Cleaning the Bedrooms:
- Dust all surfaces, including light fixtures, baseboards, wall hangings, and the ledges above doors and windows. Also dust the tops of the television.
- Change the bedding.
- Dust blinds and curtains.
- Disinfect all touchpoints, such as doorknobs, remote controls, and light switches.
Cleaning the Bathroom:
- Dust flat surfaces like counters, the backs of toilets, and shelves.
- Dust any window sills, wall hangings, and the ledge above the door.
- Change the towels.
- Refresh all soaps, shampoos, and conditioners.
- Refresh the supply of toilet paper.
- Disinfect all surfaces and touch points.
- Clean toilets, sinks, showers, and baths. Clean both inside and outside.
- Sweep and mop the floor.
Cleaning the Kitchen:
- Dust all flat surfaces. Don’t forget the range hood, cupboards, and door frames.
- Wash any dishes and put them away.
- Refresh any common condiments, snacks, or beverages you provide.
- Clean all appliances, including inside of the oven, microwave, and refrigerator.
- Clean the sink, faucets, and disposal.
- Sweep and mop the floors.
Cleaning Living Spaces:
- Dust all surfaces, including lights and lampshades, door frames, the top of the television, and any wall hangings.
- Dust all window hangings such as curtains or blinds.
- Clean and disinfect all touchpoints, including the remote control, light switches, and door handles.
- Fluff all couch cushions.
- Vacuum, or sweep and mop the floor.
- Empty all trash bins and replace liners.
- Clean the windows and glass doors.
- Launder all used linens.
- Replace any welcome gifts.
Maintaining the cleanliness of your vacation rental can wear you down and take away from the joy of offering travelers a tranquil place to stay. Let eMaids do the work for you! Book your cleaning services quickly and easily online, freeing yourself up to tackle any of the many other things on your task list! Click to learn more about eMaids' vacation rental cleaning services.