Finally, it’s that time of the year to bid goodbye to summer and welcome the two colder seasons here in the DC area. Of course, other than the chillier weather, several holidays are also on the way. With that in mind, it’s time to declutter your home in preparation for fall and winter. So if you are looking for tips for fall, you are in the right place.
Cleaning for this season need not be a daunting task. With the correct info, you can quickly make your home a great place this season and beyond. There are some basic kinds of clutter that you have to get rid of in your home. These categories depend on where the mess is, either outdoors or indoors.
For an excellent decluttering exercise, a comprehensive fall cleaning checklist is a must-have. This list of cleaning tips for fall and winter will help you ensure no unwanted or unnecessary items are left behind to clog your home during these final months of the year.
For outdoor clutter, you have to think and plan for the following categories of unwanted items in your home:
- Outdoor furniture and accessories such as broken furniture that can't or won't be repaired, worn-out outdoor seat cushions, damaged umbrellas
- Gardening tools and supplies
- Dead plants (both indoors and outdoors)
- Unnecessary grill tools and supplies such as unwanted or unnecessary grill spatulas.
- Play equipment and outdoor toys, etc.
Your indoor decluttering checklist should include items such as:
- Summer clothing and shoes.
- Beach and pool gear such as expired sunscreen, broken toys, goggles, and beach towels have seen their better days.
- Tidying the fridge, pantry, and food storage. With the holiday season around the corner, this will help you get rid of expired food and most likely replace it with relevant food categories for the season.
- Declutter linens, towels, and sheets by replacing any of them that have seen their better days.
- Declutter toys and games that your kids no longer need.
- School supplies: New grade levels imply new school supplies. So get rid of any old school supplies that are no longer needed when school starts, either in-person or by remote learning.
- Old blankets that you no longer need can be a nuisance in your home. Identify them and include the same in this checklist.
- Winter accessories and coat closet. Collect all your chilly weather accessories and sort them into piles of hats, scarves, gloves, coats, jackets, snow gear, and boots. Any items in these piles that have seen better days should get into the list of clutter.
This checklist is by no means exhaustive, but it highlights the major categories of items that you should consider as you declutter your home in time for fall and winter.
Now that you have your checklist ready, the next thing is to work systematically. It’s advisable to design a schedule that you’ll follow to work in an organized and logical way. You can start from your bedrooms and move outwards to the kitchen, dining area, guest room, garage, and then outdoors. The whole process can be more fun and engaging if scheduled to include all the family members.
Working methodically ensures nothing is left behind and that once you are done with one area, you won’t have to spend time revisiting it.
How to Dispose of Your Clutter
Not all that you consider clutter presently is worthless. Some of the items can be cleaned and stored neatly for use at the appropriate time in the future. Others, you can give as donations at donation centers near you or give away to friends and relatives who might need the same. In case you want to sell some clutter that is still usable, you can do that through social media or second-hand retail stores.
Professional Cleaning Service
Although decluttering your home before fall and winter might seem easy, you might not have the time or the expertise necessary to do a thorough job with cleaning as well. If so, it's time to let the professionals do the job for you. We at eMaids of Washington DC are a reputable and reliable cleaning company in Washington DC. All the cleaning maids have undergone a rigorous selection process, training, certification tests, and reference verification.
Contact eMaids of Washington for efficient and reliable home cleaning services today and enjoy the peace of mind of knowing you have the best professionals to do the job.