Moving into a new home is stressful enough to worry about cleaning chores. However, cleaning the new place is the first step to turning it into your home! And also it ensures you arrive at a safe and healthy space.
Are you not sure where to begin? Use our move-in cleaning checklist and leave your new home spotless!
Why should you clean before moving in?
We know that settling into a new home is a special moment in which most people aren't thinking about cleaning. However, if the house hasn't been occupied in a while, you will find at least a thick layer of dust.
Besides, a previously inhabited home is another history. A house gets messy when someone lives in it, and you can't be sure if the last owners or tenants neglected the move-out deep cleaning! Kitchen walls could have smoke and grease stains, or dust mites could be all over fabric furnishings.
Cleaning thoroughly before moving in is crucial to be sure you are arriving at a clean and healthy space.
What's included in a move-in clean?
This type of cleaning is perhaps the most thorough cleaning homeowners—or cleaning companies—do inside a house. It includes every daily task, with the addition of less frequent cleaning chores like window cleaning and wiping high ceiling fixtures.
How do you do a move-in cleaning?
The basic rule is going room by room while cleaning from top to bottom. A move-in cleaning is more effective when homes are not heavily furnished.
Also, having a clear plan and a checklist can help you clean efficiently. Here we tell you the basic tasks that should always be included in a move-in cleaning.
Move-in cleaning checklist
- Clean thoroughly every kitchen cabinet. Wipe inside cabinets and drawers, taking advantage of that they are empty.
- Wipe higher furnishings. Use a microfiber cloth to dust every corner of the window frame, the window sill, and ledges.
- Wipe down the window glass.
- Disinfect the countertops and scrub dirty spots in the grout.
- Wipe and disinfect the sink and faucet.
- Spot clean the walls and doors. Wipe commonly touched surfaces with a disinfectant solution.
- Wash the baseboards using a damp cloth.
- Sweep and mop the floor.
If there are kitchen appliances, you should clean them too!
- Fridge: Clean inside and outside the fridge and freezer. Discard anything you find inside.
- Microwave: Take out the microwave's plate to wash it. Wipe inside and outside the microwave.
- Stove-top: Remove the grates and burner caps of the gas stove-top and wash them. Scrub the grease stains and food residues from the stove-top.
- Oven: Take out the oven grills and wash them. Wipe inside the oven or use the auto-clean function carefully.
- Dishwasher: Clean residue inside the dishwasher. Run a cycle with vinegar.
- Dust the cabinets and drawers, discarding everything inside.
- Clean and disinfect the toilet thoroughly.
- Disinfect the bathtub with an effective solution.
- Wipe the shower and shower door. If it has signs of use, scrub the grout and remove soap scum.
- Clean the sink and counters. Wipe down the faucet
- Wipe down the mirrors using a glass cleaner.
- Spot clean the walls and door.
- Disinfect the commonly touched areas.
- Mop every area on the floor, including behind the toilet and vanities.
Living room and bedrooms
- Room by room, start by dusting the ceiling fans and light fixtures. If the home is unfurnished, look for high spots where dust and cobwebs might be hiding.
- If the bedroom already has a bed, dust both sides of the mattress.
- Dust the included furniture, like bookshelves and closets.
- Vacuum upholstered furniture.
- Clean windows thoroughly, including every corner of the frame, the window sills, and ledges. Wipe down the window glass.
- Spot clean the walls and doors. Wipe down the door frame.
- Disinfect the frequently touched spots like light switches and doorknobs.
- Vacuum the floors. For wall-to-wall carpeted homes, spot clean with a stain remover.
If you are moving into a rental property, taking pictures of the home's condition might come in handy for any later doubts.
Moving-in/out cleaning services in Washington DC
Let the professional cleaners do the job, so you can just enjoy your new home! We are an experienced cleaning company in Washington DC offering a wide variety of services, including move-in thorough cleanings! Check out what includes our moving out/in cleaning service here.